I guess I'll continue with my yellow food festival here and post my Nasi Goreng experiment. Nasi Goreng is basically leftover rice fried with all the other tasty bits from the previous dinner and then you add in a couple tablespoon of kecap manis and there you have it, something tasty from leftover rice. I'm not sure if this is breakfast food or lunch or maybe dinner but we had it for dinner. It doesn't take that long to make, probably 15 to 20 minutes and the ingredients are just basically tossed together like and stir fried. Here's my recipe for it.
2 cups of leftover rice, fluffed and at room temperature (I used my leftover yellow rice (nasi kuning)
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tbsp of oil or more if needed
2 tbsp of kecap manis
1 tsp curry powder (or garam masala)
light pinch of 5 spice powder
8 prawns
sliced cooked chicken meat
2 green onions, chopped for garnish
salt and pepper to taste
2 eggs, scrambled and fried
The trick to this is high heat. It's really quick so the ingredients should be cut up and ready to be thrown together in the wok. Heat the oil in a wok till smoking hot, add garlic, don't burn it, then add prawns and cook till lightly pink. Add chicken, season with kecap manis, salt and pepper to taste. Add rice and the remaining ingredients except for the fried eggs and green onions, stir-fry for 10 to 15 minutes then add the eggs, toss for a couple more minutes. Serve then top with green onions.
I've never done it before but I'm sure finely chopped carrots, celery, pepper and peas even corn would be a good addition. Maybe these veggies plus fried tofu can replace the meat, prawn and egg for a vegetarian version, I don't know, it sounds like a yummy idea though. I'll play with it sometime. Now I can't wait to get some leftover rice again.
No comments:
Post a Comment