Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Proscuitto Wrapped Salmon

I'm back!!! Please don't write me off just yet. I've just been insanely busy, enslaved by both school and work but I am taking a little break so here I am again. How I miss the blogosphere! It's been so long. My fingers are itching to type something and blab about everything happening in my teeny tiny kitchen. I've made some stuff which I wished I was able to post for safekeeping so I can make them again but most of the time, they are sad to say, best forgotten.

Without further a do, here it is. After all this is supposed to be about food so voila, my proscuitto wrapped salmon.



Here's the recipe but please be kind, feel free to omit or add anything if it's missing something.

2 slices of proscuitto
2 slices of salmon
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
chopped fresh dill
freshly cracked pepper
2 teaspoons of mustard (I used Coleman's English mustard), a teaspoon for each slice of fish

I have no idea whose lusty idea it was to wrap a juicy bit of naturally briny fish with a succulent and earthy salty sweet cured slices of an Italian piggy but hey, let's just say it definitely made our mid-week dinner a lot more exciting. My imagination and my hands tend to get ahead of themselves when I'm in the kitchen so they're not satisfied with just a touch of pork fat basting the fish for flavour so I ended up adding good old mustard and pepper and of course, what is salmon without dill so yeah, I sprinkled it with some chopped dill. To kick it up an extra notch, I also added some thyme sprigs. I baked it at 375 for 15 minutes and there you go.



The fat drippings from the roasting proscuitto basted the fish so it cooked evenly and remained moist and flaky. Just exactly the way fish should be. I've posted a third photo just because I consider this to be such an achievement because I normally cook the life out of any fish (or seafood or meat or anything that requires delicate handling). Yes, I'm congratulating myself. Is that bad?

3 comments:

  1. Salmon looks fantastic! Are you sure, you made it by yourself or it's just a pic find on the internet! ;) Congratulation! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks anadroi! I hope you get to try it sometime, it doesn't take very long to make, less than 30 minutes actually. I like cooking that way these days :-).

    ReplyDelete