So this week, here's what I have in store. Again it's another chicken adventure.
For starters, we're off to Mexico with arroz con pollo. I didn't have a recipe, I was going by how I imagined arroz con pollo would have tasted like. I just sauteed some chicken pieces in crushed tinned tomatoes, garlic, onion, cumin, oregano, chili pepper flakes and seasoned it with a pocket of Sazon Goya. I then added a cup of long grain rice and 2 cups of chicken stock (I used home-made of course!). To make it look pretty and taste fresh, I also added some chopped cilantro. It takes about 30 minutes to make. We ended up eating this for dinner though because I was a little bit worried about freezing the rice.
Then after that, we're off to India. Nope, it's Vancouver actually. This is Vij's family chicken curry but as usual I didn't follow the recipe exactly. I don't feel like typing the recipe so I just made a link to Barbara Jo's Books to Cook's test kitchen blog which by the way is an excellent cookbook store if you're ever in Vancouver. It is a cookbook addict's paradise. Back to the recipe, I made short cuts here and there because I didn't have all of the ingredients listed in the cookbook but hey, the result wasn't too shabby.
Next, I tried to recreate Morocco. I've never been there but Mr. Cat has, the disappointing thing about it though is he does not remember what the food was like. I sauteed some chicken thighs in onion, garlic, harrissa, cumin, cinnamon, ginger powder, ras el hanout and a tablespoon of honey. I don't know what got into my head but I also added some fresh apricots. It sure smelled amazing. I'm sure looking forward to this.
This should have been a chicken adobo, so I sort of get to come home to the Philippines but I run out of vinegar so I ended up making Thai red curry instead. Thai red curry is one of those 30 minute things you can whip up when you're a little bit pressed for time, that is if you're using store bought paste.
If you want a step by step video on how to make the real thing, check out Hanuman's video. He is the Thai food master at Recipezaar.
Yes, we're eating a lot of chicken. Sometimes I wonder why we still don't have wings and feathers. If only the growth hormone will seep into my bones and make me grow taller.
Wow, you are very creative. I hope you don't mind me stealing some of your cooking ideas. May I make a suggestion? What about whole-wheat pita bread? Just a little more complex carbohydrates can be very satisfying!
ReplyDeleteAdam (mrelife.blogspot.com)
Thank you, yes, whole wheat pita bread would be really nice and I'm sure it's a lot healthier than white rice. I love pita bread with hummus. We eat a lot of rice in our house and the sad thing about it is I can't stand brown rice. White rice can get boring I must admit. When I have classes, I make a batch of the starch, divide it for the entire week then just warm it up each batch for dinner. I got the idea from Sandi Richards' book called Cooking for the Rushed.
ReplyDeleteInteresting. Luckily I'm not very fond on white rice. I guess I just see them as a pile of carbs, ehehehehe!
ReplyDeleteThe thing is, I count my calories differently than people use to. I consider then worth it or not. Sometimes I eat a very caloric dish, but it tastes so good that I'm not even sorry! On the other hand, sometimes there are dishes that just do not taste that good in relation to the amount of fat I'll put on! So I just skip those, eheheheheeh..
By the way, I really love the background of your blog! So cool!
Adam (mrelife.blogspot.com)