Saturday, June 6, 2009

Pork Loin w/ Roasted Butternut Squash and Grapes

I made roast pork tenderloin with roasted butternut squash and grapes for dinner last night. The flavours are quite simple. I didn't do anything special to any of them at all. I basically threw everything together in one roasting pan. The pork tenderloin was marinated in extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, crushed garlic and a few sprigs of fresh thyme. I browned it in a tablespoon of olive oil and a little bit of butter before roasting in 400F for 20 minutes. For the butternut squash, I sliced it in quarters then brushed the surfaces with some of the oil I used to brown the tenderloin then rubbed the slices with brown sugar, salt, cayenne pepper and cinnamon before roasting. Then the most surprising discovery of the evening, roasted grapes. I didn't do anything to them at all. I basically just washed them and threw them in the same roasting pan with the tenderloin and the butternut squash not knowing whether they would come out edible or turn into a sloppy mush.


I've never had roasted grapes in my life and they sure are tasty. I don't know where I got the weird idea of roasting my grapes but I'm glad I played with it because I discovered another side dish that is really quite interesting. Roasting intensifies the sweetness of the grapes, it mellows the sour taste and tempers the tannins I guess. They were not mushy at all, they retained their texture and I was quite happy about it.

I thought the pork tenderloin was going to be dry because there was no pan juices but they turned out really most and juicy. That was a bonus. I placed the pork slices on top of a few swirls of good olive oil and some nice balsamic vinegar. Not sure what was the logic in the wine pairing but we washed it down with a mild Spanish tempranillo. It was a great combo, the flavours didn't clash, hell, they probably even complimented each other. Not bad for a lazy evening Friday supper.

1 comment:

  1. Spicy and sweet butternut, sounds tasty! Very nutritious meal, too.

    ReplyDelete